Is Your Home Getting Up There In Years? 3 Signs It May Need To Be Rewired

Posted on: 15 May 2017

If your home is getting up there in years, it may be time to start updating the operating systems – including the electrical wiring. You might not realize this, but the wiring inside your home can wear out over time. When that happens, your home becomes more susceptible to electrical malfunctions, which can lead to fires. Not only that, but outdated wiring can cause you to use additional electricity, which will increase your utility bills each month. Luckily, your home will start showing you signs that it's facing an electrical emergency. Here are just three ways your home will tell you that it's time to have the wiring replaced.

Hot Spots on the Walls

If the wiring in your home is outdated, the protective coating may begin to deteriorate, which will make it overheat when it's in use. When that happens, you may start noticing hot spots developing on your walls, especially around outlets and light switches. If you're worried about the wiring in your home, it's a good idea to feel the walls for hot spots. The best time to test the walls is after the electricity has been in use for a while during the day, such as right before bed. Place your hand on the wall near your outlets and switches. If you feel heat radiating through the walls, you should contact an electrician as soon as possible.

Burning Smell from the Outlets

If your wiring is outdated, your outlets probably are too. Unfortunately, that means you may be at risk for outlet fires. If your outlets are overheating during use, you may start noticing an odor of burning wires – especially near the outlets. You may also notice black, scorch marks, or melted plastic on the outlets themselves. If you smell burning wire from the outlets, or notice burn marks, stop using those outlets until an electrician can come out and replace the wires.

Circuits Tripping Repeatedly

If you've noticed that your circuits are tripping repeatedly, it might be time to rewire your home. This is particularly true if the fuse box, or circuit board is the original equipment. Circuits that trip repeatedly are a sure sign that your wiring isn't adequate to handle the power that's needed to service your home properly.

Don't take chances with the wiring in your home. If you're noticing any of the problems described above, contact an electrician near you as soon as possible. 

Share